Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What position at a hospital will prepare me for medical coding?

I'm working at a hospital as an admitting representative now. I want to become a coder. If there aren't any entry level positions in HIM, what other departments should I consider? When they hired me, they said the hospital would pay for medical billing certification (I didn't ask about coding).





I know technical schools offer coding programs, but I would rather get my foot in the door first as I've heard it is very difficult to get a coding job with a certificate and no experience.What position at a hospital will prepare me for medical coding?
The best way to get into coding/billing is to keep your current job, (it is your ace in the hole and best resource.) go to school and wait for a job at your facility. There really is no other depts that will transfer to coding or give you any real coding experience. At least not at my hospital. but a good job recommendation from you current supervisor will make you a shoe-in for any openings-IF you have finished training.





If you want to work before you go to school-find another career to go into.What position at a hospital will prepare me for medical coding?
Any job in the medical records dept. would help you get your foot in the door -- a file clerk or whatever.


Other than that, I'd say something in the business/billing areas might help .

No comments:

Post a Comment